Sunday, August 17, 2008

Footpegs, Brake Lever, and Rear Shocks

With the front handlebars in place, I was able to stretch out on the bike and get an idea of where I wanted to mount the rear foot pegs and rear brake lever. I figured fitting my lanky 6-foot tall frame on this bike could be a challenge, so I wanted to see how uncomfortable I would be using the stock passenger foot peg locations. As it turned out, it felt great. It gave me a good tuck, just enough clearance between my legs for the tank extension, and my feet/ankles didn't feel too cramped up.

Getting an idea where to mount the rear footpegs.



With the footpeg location selected, I then turned my attention to the rear brake lever. I had given thought to using a cable, but decided that an easier solution would be to simply modify the stock brake pullrod, and of course make a new lever. As it turns out, there is a boss mounted to the backside of the swingarm that locates the front of the rear brake/hub stay. So I got crafty and built a new lever

Simple lever cut from single sheet to minimize joints. 1/4" rod was welded to backside of plate to add stiffness. Entire lever pivots on the swingarm boss, pulling the shortened brake pullrod in a forward motion, just like stock.


As mounted on the bike, mostly hidden behind the swingarm.



I then scrounged through the spare parts bins and found a set of matching footpegs off a C100 that threaded right into the stock swingarm posts. The toe kicker for the brake lever is a passenger footpeg off another parts bike.


Brake lever, footpegs and toe kicker fitted.



Lastly, I decided to work up a set of rear shocks, as I was tired of having to carry the back of the bike around when I wanted to move it in the garage. I had taken dimensions of the little front shocks used in the leading link setup, and decided to see if could be used on the rear. The benfits would include having the same shocks on all "four corners" and since it is a nice little coilover setup, I could change spring rates or heights to best suit the bike.

Set of stock C110/100 front leading link shocks used in the rear. Like the front setup, I have about 1-inch of bum travel with my weight on the bike, with lots of adjustability should I want to change it.


Chris H.

No comments: